There’s always a misconception about buying refurbished electronics. Many people think that they have been used and won’t give them service. However, there’s a big difference between a used iMac Pro and a refurbished iMac Pro. Undoubtedly, Apple makes great machines. But they don’t come cheap. The good news is that you can get a great laptop for less by buying a refurbished iMac laptop from Apple or other third-party stores. In this article, we tell you everything you need to know about how to buy a refurbished iMac Pro and where to buy it.
What Is a Refurbished iMac Computer?
Apple sells refurbished iMac machines, which are pre-owned products returned to the company by its customers for various reasons, such as some kind of defect. The devices could also have been used as a demonstration product in one of Apple’s teaching programs.
Alternatively, the Mac could be returned by a customer under the standard sale-and-returns procedure. Apple has a 14-day returns policy for its products. If the Mac was returned due to a fault, Apple usually rectifies it before reselling it.
Should You Buy a Refurbished iMac Pro
Generally, it’s a good idea to buy an iMac Pro refurbished. For one, it’s usually 15 – 30 percent cheaper than new (depending on its age and where you buy it) and will still function as good as a new one. Some stores like Refurb.me offer iMac Pro at more than 50 percent off.
Some people prefer buying refurbished electronics directly from Apple, which is a great idea. According to Apple, “Every Apple Certified Refurbished product completes a rigorous refurbishment process that includes full testing that meets the same functional standards as new Apple products. Your refurbished device is, truly, ‘like new’.
On top of that, each iMac computer:
- Carries a 90-day complimentary technical support
- Comes with a standard one-year limited warranty
- Is thoroughly cleaned and inspected
- Is repackaged in a brand new box
- Is dispatched with free shipping and returns
So, it’s safe to buy an iMac Pro from Apple Refurbished Store since they are checked and tested to ensure they are fully functional.
It’s worth mentioning that Apple manages its own refurbished store and has trained professionals that ensure every device is up to par before reselling it. One downside is that it’s rare to find current generation iMacs that have been refurbished. Typically, new iMac machines are on the market for at least a few months before they are returned.
How to Buy an iMac Pro
While the price of an iMac Pro can be deeply discounted, it’s not the only thing to consider. Whether you’re buying from Apple Refurbished Store or from other vendors, here are factors to watch out for:
- Testing. It’s advisable to buy your iMac Pro from a retailer that offers testing. Apple is the best choice since they offer brand-certified testing procedures. Other vendors also provide their own testing procedures. Just be sure to check that they are authentic and thorough.
- Warranties and return policies. You want to buy from a vendor that offers a warranty – a kind of protection, in case your iMac develops unexpected issues. For example, Apple offers a one-year warranty for its refurbished iMac computers. Most other vendors also offer similar warranties. The same goes for return policies, which give you a few days to test the iMac Pro machine, checking for errors.
- Original accessories. A refurbished iMac Pro should come with all of its original materials, including the original package box and instructions. This is what separates a refurb from a used machine.
- Hands-on testing. This might not be possible if buying online. However, if buying from a local vendor, be sure to closely examine the refurbished iMac Pro and test it yourself. Doing so allows you to detect any glitches or faults that are apparent.
Where to Buy a Refurbished iMac Pro
Obviously, the first option should be Apple Refurbished Store. But, there are other reliable third-party stores where you can buy iMac Pro refurbished computers at amazing discounts. Some of the common retailers include:
In the U.S.:
- Back Market (also in the UK)
- Mac Of All Trades
- Best Buy
- Other World Computing (OWC)
In the UK:
- Mac 4 Sale
- Music Magpie
- Hoxton Macs
- Laptops Direct
While buying a refurbished iMac Pro will save you money, be aware that you can get a good discount from Amazon for a new product. This means, while Apple could be selling an iMac Pro that’s been returned and repaired, you could get an identical iMac Pro that has never been used on Amazon for less.
So, before you settle on the refurb, do thorough research to ensure you get the best deal there is. Another thing to take note of is Apple’s obsolescence. Every Apple product eventually becomes obsolete, meaning it will no longer get any support from Apple. Therefore, when buying a refurb, it’s a good idea not to invest in an iMac Pro that’s more than three years old. On the same note, be sure to check out Apple’s “vintage and obsolete products” page to see if the device you want to buy is no longer backed by Apple.